Saturday, January 10, 2009

Picture This...

To begin, its 4:45am and Jess comes hurrying up the stairs to my room frantically whispering "Mom, Wake up!" I was still sleeping as most of us would be at that hour - (she was up getting ready to leave for school in an hour) I immediately thought that it was time to get up and take her to school so I moaned and complained allowed about it how it seemed like I had just gone to sleep....
"No!" she frantically whispered - "There is a monster in the basement!"
"A what?" I said - a little more awake than I was a second ago....
"I went down to the basement to get my load out of the dryer and there is something down there - a huge rat I think!"
"Great" I moaned, wondering why she woke me up to look at a mouse that is probably long gone.... You see, while we where in Phoenix for Christmas our cat disappeared and I thought that since it was warm while we where gone and now it's cold again, plus no cat to patrol the basement, that we must have had a small influx of mice trying to overtake our basement and she had probably seen one of them scurrying across the floor...
"Jess, its just a mouse...."
"No!" She said frantically "Its way bigger - I think its another possum!"
.
I HATE THOSE THINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
.
I was up! With just that one little statement, I was up!
I followed her down to the basement, armed with a broom.... not sure what good it would do, but it was better than nothing...and sure enough there was our friendly possum perched upon my recently created jars of jam, starring at us.....
Of course, being the brave mother that I am... I stood guard with the broom while Jess grabbed her stuff out of the dryer, silently praying that the thing would be kind and not make a flying leap to attack us....
We made it safely back upstairs and on the way up I noticed that the cat food that had been fine the night before now had a good size hole clawed in the side of it and was about 1/2 gone.... That thing had been all the way up the stairs and just outside the kitchen door!!!!!
After getting upstairs and realizing that I was gonna probably end up blogging this, I did attempt to go back down there and take a picture of my little rodent pet, but after we had come back upstairs and turned off the lights, it had taken that opportunity to hide a little better or hopefully just plain leave....so no picture.
However, you can bet that...
1. I don't go downstairs without first making alot of noise at the top of the stairs to scare away anything that is hiding down there....and
2. Every night, I send one of the kids (not me!) downstairs to see if the garage door is really closed... We will have NO MORE visitors enjoying the shelter of our basement unless previously invited!!!
On the bright side- at least it wasn't a scorpion, a snake, or a moose....

3 comments:

Ninny said...

Uh, ya! I would definitely be freaked out if a moose had been in your garage. I know nothing about possums but funny story!

Brandy Lynn Simmons said...

Brings back memories! I lived in Lebanon Missouri for a few years. Those things are really freaky! We really miss your family!!

shakenbake said...

Ah ha! My cat led me to a possum one night in our basement when I was younger. She meowed until I followed her out to the garage, and then just sat down about 2 feet from it as if to say, "Here you go." It just stared its beety eyes at me and hissed. EWWW.